The Mathematics Program is dedicated to help every student develop the concepts and reasoning skills necessary to contend with, communicate about, and collaborate on solving complex mathematics problems in both real world and abstract contexts. To this end, High School Mathematics teachers continue ISB’s commitment to the following school-wide long-term learning goals:
- Students will apply mathematical reasoning to analyze and model relationships in the context of a situation in order to make decisions, solve problems and draw conclusions.
- Students will be exposed to the Standards for Mathematical Practice, which are:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.